Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Study: Defense of the indigent in question

When I first saw this headline, I had the crazy thought that this jurisdiction was actually considering not providing indigent defense anymore. That, of course, is not the what is going on. After all these articles about counties focusing mostly on cost and trying to provide poor people with the cheapest lawyers possible, this article is refreshing.

It seems that the state of Georgia is actually concerned with the quality of the legal representation being given to their citizens. They have even created an oversight board to monitor the state's public defender offices.

Although the board found many problems with the Atlanta Circuit Public Defenders Office, at least someone is looking at these problems and trying to find solutions. An important thing to note is that this oversight system is fairly new. With more time, hopefully the oversight board and the PD's office can work out these issues.

3 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Georgia just established their statewide PD system last year, though Atlanta and DeKalb have had offices for years. And because I want to toot my own horn, they've been doing some amazing things.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Public Defense said...

Audacity,

Wow. You gave me my first link to my shirts and now my first comment on my blog. Thanks.

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of your earlier posts. I hope I didn't come off as critical of Georgia's public defender system. I know very little about the situation, as the sum total of my knowledge comes from that article I linked. I was actually pleased with the main thing I took away from that article: Georgia cares about the quality of its indigent defense system.

-Mike

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Jen said...

"I hope I didn't come off as critical of Georgia's public defender system."

Please. I'm critical of it every day. Or rather, I'm critical of the way everyone else (prosecutors / judges) treat PDs versus private attorneys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home